The Union Depot, which is on the National Register of Historic Places originally built in 1872, was the oldest station in continuous operation in our country before being extensively damaged by a fire in October 2001. Recognizing its importance to the community, the Connecticut Railroad Historical Association was formed to purchase and restore the station. . Its goal was to rebuild the station to its original appearance, and to return it to its place as a prominent feature in the life of the Town of North Canaan. Now almost 100% complete the restored depot is a mixed-use building incorporating a railroad museum, a brewery and a number of available office or retail spaces. The building systems have been brought up to current code for ADA access, energy usage, HVAC and electrical systems, fire safety, plumbing and electrical systems. The site is improved with wrought-iron fencing, teardrop lamp post lighting, and a concrete and stone masonry walkway which gently inclines to the front entrance of the building improvements. Landscaping at the site consists of manicured lawns, shrubs around the building, planting beds with flowering plants, and interspersed trees. It is evident that much time, money and community effort and pride has gone into this project.



  • NeighborhoodN/ A
  • Year Built1872
  • Lot Acres0.92
  • RoofingAsphalt Shingle


    • InteriorElevator, Fire Suppression System, Handicap Design, Living Space Available
    • Security
    • Floor CoveringsCeramic Tile

    Residential Info

    Property Details

    Location: 75 Main Street, North Canaan, Connecticut 06018