Elyse’s Country Journal – Thursday, October 10, 2013 – HarneyRE – Salisbury, CT
Salisbury and the surrounding communities of northwestern Connecticut offer a wide range of unparalleled opportunities. Please enjoy Elyse’s Country Journal, published weekly on Wednesday. Elyse’s hope is that it will help open up a new perspective of our area.
- Plan to share in the fun of a hometown celebration and welcome visitors to the beautiful Northwest Corner on Columbus Day weekend, October 11, 12, & 13, for Salisbury’s Annual Fall Festival. Throughout the weekend, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Feast on freshly-made blueberry pancakes at St. Johns. Find attic treasures, global crafts, home-made baked goods, previously-loved books, jewelry, and clothing at the churches and library on Main Street. Visit the Historical Society’s photo show “Salisbury’s Natural Resources.” For lunch, stop by the hot dog tent. There’s fun for the children on Saturday, with magic shows, hay rides, games, face painting. Check Lakeville Journal for more details.
- Beer tasting returns as the Salisbury Winter Sports Association (SWSA) hosts the fourth annual Brew Ski Fest on Sunday, October 13, from 1 to 4 PM at Satre Hill during Fall Festival weekend. Tickets for Brew Ski Fest cost $30 per person in advance. Tickets will cost $35 the day of the event. For information, go to www.jumpfest.org.
- On Friday, October 18, at 7:30 PM, The Salisbury Forum presents “A Life in Science: Exploring the Universe” with Nicholas Scoville, Ph.D., retired Professor of Astronomy at California Institute of Technology. The Forum will take place at The Hotchkiss School on Interlaken Road in Lakeville. Free admission.
- The Art Scene in Lakeville has a lot to offer: There will be a Gallery Arts Guild Special Event in collaboration with The Hotchkiss School & Salisbury School this week, beginning Friday, October 11 until Sunday, October 20 with special receptions from 4 to 7 Friday and Saturday nights. Featured will be Student Work at its Finest! The Gallery Arts Guild is at 342 Main Street in Lakeville.
- Argazzi Art at 22 Millerton Road (Rte 44) celebrates Ten Years with Mayme Kratz “Across the Velvet Dark”. Reception for the artist takes place Sunday, October 13, from 1 to 5 PM.
- Local artist David James Valyou, a carpenter by trade, is full of ideas. Check out his interesting works of art in a fine barn he renovated at 13 Walton Street in Lakeville. October 11 from 5 to 8 PM and October 12 from noon to 4 PM. For information, call 860-435-9799 or go to email@example.com.
- The Hotchkiss Library of Sharon will hold its sixth annual gala auction at Lion Rock Farm on Saturday, October 12, from 5 to 8 PM. The event is open to the public at the cost of $75 per person. There will be about 30 items for silent auction as well as six items for live auction. The gala is the last of three fundraising events held by the library every year. Each fundraiser is critical to the library’s operating budget. To purchase a ticket, call 860-364-5041 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.