Elyse’s Country Journal – Thursday, December 26, 2013 – Salisbury, CT
Salisbury and the surrounding communities of northwestern Connecticut offer a wide range of unparalleled opportunities. Please enjoy Elyse’s Country Journal, published weekly on Wednesday. Elyse’s hope is that it will help open up a new perspective of our area.
From all of us at Elyse Harney Real Estate, we wish you the best New Year ever – with health, family, friends, and happiness!
- SAVE THE DATE: This year, Jumpfest Winter Festival promises to be bigger and better than ever; schedule to be announced in the February Sampler. On February 1, a week before the festival, Susan & Curtis Rand host a fundraising cocktail party at their home, and multi-town, multi-gallery art shows open. For more information, visit www.jumpfest.org.
- The community is welcome to skate on Factory Pond in Lakeville — when the ice is safe. When “No Skating” signs are posted, please stay off the ice for safety; when the ice is safe, “skating signs” are posted and lights will be on until 9PM. Be safe — wear protective equipment and NEVER skate alone.
- Join the Gallery Arts Guild (now at 52 Main Street in Millerton) for a New Year’s Eve Eve poetry reading! This is on Monday, December 30, at 7 PM. Anything goes (well, almost anything; clothes are required.) So bring your own poem, read a friend’s poem, read a famous poem, it’s up to you. We just ask that you let us know in advance if you would like to read. We will do our best to accommodate all interested readers. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us and we look forward to seeing you and hearing your work! email@example.com.
- Expressions commonly heard each September like “the season’s almost over” don’t sit well with Margaret Roach. She has worked for more than 20 years to make her garden in the Hudson Valley-Berkshires area a visual treat every day of the year. Meet the plants and the philosophy that make it happen, delivered with a dose of “horticultural how-to and woo-woo.” Roach writes the nationally acclaimed blog, A Way to Garden. Her newest book, Backyard Parable (2013) blends garden memoir and how-to advice. Scoville Memorial Library in Salisbury on January 4 at 4 PM.
- CREATIVE POWER OF THE FEMININE is the title of a 12-week seminar that, among other things, will cover indepth exploration and exercises on the following topics: Weaving your art through life; Living in the invisible world and generating synchronicity; Gender inequality; Feminine meditations: making yourself available to the sacred; Highly realized feminine expression in life and art; Assignments on ancient and universal feminine activities; Physical awareness and beauty appreciation.
- For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please register by January 14, 2014 for the seminar taking place Friday nights from 6 to 8 PM, starting January 17, 2014 at Gallery Arts Guild, 52 Main Street in Millerton, NY (518-592-1420). Tuition is $299.00. Payments can be made through www.annedrager.com. For cash or check payments, contact the Gallery Arts Guild.
- NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS, ANYONE? The Hotchkiss School pool and indoor track will be available: Adult-only lap swim to June 14, 2014, from 9 to 10:30 AM on Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday; $200 for a season pass or $5 per session. Indoor Walking Club to May 22, 2014, from 8 to 10 AM; $2 per session cost may be paid at the door. Street shoes are not permitted on the tack; carry walking shoes into the building and change before entering the track.