Elyse’s Country Journal – December 19, 2013 – HarneyRE – Salisbury, CT
Salisbury and the surrounding communities of northwestern Connecticut offer a wide range of unparalleled opportunities. Please enjoy Elyse’s Country Journal, published weekly on Wednesday. Elyse’s hope is that it will help open up a new perspective of our area.
All of us at Elyse Harney Real Estate would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy, Healthy, Safe and Prosperous Year 2014!
- The Nice Ones, featuring Falls Village natives Patrick Surdam and Tyler Beaujon, will play a show Saturday, December 21, at the Grove in Lakeville in support of their CD, “To Be Frank.” The entire band collaborates on the arrangements. Surdam is the lyricist. “I’m a singer who plays guitar,” he said. He takes inspiration from a wide variety of sources. “Anything quality coming out of the 1990s — rock, rhythm and blues, hip-hop.” Tickets for the show are $5, and doors open at 8:30 PM.
- SAVE THE DATE: This year, Jumpfest Winter Festival promises to be bigger and better than ever; schedule to be announced in the February Sampler. On February 1, a week before the festival, Susan & Curtis Rand host a fundraising cocktail party at their home, and multi-town, multi-gallery art shows open. For more information, visit www.jumpfest.org.
- The community is welcome to skate on Factory Pond in Lakeville — when the ice is safe. When “No Skating” signs are posted, please stay off the ice for safety; when the ice is safe, “skating signs” are posted and lights will be on until 9PM. Be safe — wear protective equipment and NEVER skate alone.
- Join the Gallery Arts Guild (now at 52 Main Street in Millerton) for a New Year’s Eve Eve poetry reading! This is on Monday, December 30, at 7 PM. Anything goes (well, almost anything; clothes are required.) So bring your own poem, read a friend’s poem, read a famous poem, it’s up to you. We just ask that you let us know in advance if you would like to read. We will do our best to accommodate all interested readers. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us and we look forward to seeing you and hearing your work! email@example.com.
- Expressions commonly heard each September like “the season’s almost over” don’t sit well with Margaret Roach. She has worked for more than 20 years to make her garden in the Hudson Valley-Berkshires area a visual treat every day of the year. Meet the plants and the philosophy that make it happen, delivered with a dose of “horticultural how-to and woo-woo.” Roach writes the nationally acclaimed blog, A Way to Garden. Her newest book, Backyard Parable (2013) blends garden memoir and how-to advice. Scoville Memorial Library in Salisbury on January 4 at 4 PM.
- NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS, ANYONE? The Hotchkiss School pool and indoor track will be available: Adult-only lap swim to June 14, 2014, from 9 to 10:30 AM on Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday; $200 for a season pass or $5 per session. Indoor Walking Club to May 22, 2014, from 8 to 10 AM; $2 per session cost may be paid at the door. Street shoes are not permitted on the tack; carry walking shoes into the building and change before entering the track.