We are thrilled to announce The Salisbury Beast’s first Fat Tire Climb & Jamboree. This event, the second in The Salisbury Beast series, creates cohesion across the adventure sporting community. Benefitting Salisbury Winter Sports Association (SWSA), the Fat Tire Climb & Jamboree forms a united front of cyclers and skiers rooted in the Salisbury, CT region.
On Sunday, February 23, please join us for The Salisbury Beast Fat Tire Jamboree 30k hill climb, time-trial style.
- This will be a time trial format consisting of 2 out and back sections.
- First rider to be released at 9:00 AM
- Riders will be released every 20 seconds (although intervals may be changed to accommodate more riders)
- The course is marked by hazards, not by miles or kilometers!
- Riders will turn around at the CT-MA State line and have the option to extend the course (full 30k) or return directly to the start line (26.2k)
- This is a self-supported ride, there will be no aid stations
The course begins on pavement and quickly turns into a gravel-dirt road that can easily become thick with mud or an ice-face, depending on weather and temperatures. Riders will climb the mixed terrain road to the top, and turn to descend the same road. The extra out and back extension, the majority of which is on pavement, save for the steepest descent and climb, which is gravel-dirt, provides an incremental climb of 500 feet over approx. 6 miles.
Course route and profile: http://www.strava.com/routes/23269856
This is a no-frills ride-at your own risk event. There are no aid stations so riders will have to be self-sufficient. Participants can ride whatever bike they please (please, no e-bikes) but they need to be appropriate for conditions on that day. Studded tires, or those with chains, can be used. We strongly advise against using road and hybrid bicycles, i.e. those with narrow tire profiles.
Registration is on-line; the fee covers emergency services, who will be onsite, and supports future events and ongoing community programming. Pre-registration will occur at Salisbury Wines on Saturday, February 22, between 4 and 6pm. For those needing to register on the day of the ride, registration will start at 815am and will end promptly at 850am.